Saturday, June 5, 2010

The first post - Istanbul

Oh welcome, and welcome to Istanbul. Beautiful city, or as the locals say "shoc gisele" (although that is probably not how it is written and that actually means "very beautiful"). This was only a tourist destination for me. But you can check out more pictures on my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianterranova/
Or I think the link is on the left hand side of my blog under the 'site's list.

As for Istanbul itself, there is an Old City, a New City, and the "Asian Side." The Asian side is a bit more modern without any of the historic sites really. I didn't get to go over there due to my limited time. Overall it's a great spot for vacation, with much to do. This is my first post and is a bit informal and un-informative. I plan on doing a better job as my blog develops.







2 comments:

  1. Why do they call it the Black Sea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. Just incase you were serious:

    "The Black Sea got its name from the Ottoman Turks.'Kara (Black)' denotes 'North' in Medieval Turkish, as in Kara Denizi- Kara Sea north of Siberian Yakut Turks, similar to Black Sea. In Turkish 'Red' denotes south as in Kizil Deniz, Red Sea to the south of Anatolia, while 'Ak'-White denotes west."

    ReplyDelete